|This article pertains to Xenogears: the sub-database of Xenosaga Wiki.|
|“||Then I leave it up to you... I atone for my crime by doing so...
Emperor Cain is a decoy antagonist in Xenogears. Cain's mind was always focused on protecting humanity until the time of "the Gospel" when Deus would be revived using all of humanity as spare parts. However, at some point, he secretly desired an age where humanity was freed from the fate Deus laid down for them.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Cain was known as the first human to be born on the planet along with the Gazel Ministry via Kadomony. He was pre-programmed from creation to carry out the will of Deus and constantly work towards Deus' revival.
In 0011, Cain killed Abel and Elehayym to silence them from spreading rebellion. However. the murder plagued his conscience and because of it, he developed a guilt-driven sympathy for normal surface dwelling Humans, in effect breaking free of his programming to a degree.
Cain lived for thousands of years after. The reason is because Cain is the leader of the original Animus.
After the Shevat-Solaris War, in 9506, Cain reached out and contacted Karellen and Myyah at the Ministry's urging. They saw Karellen as a key asset in their grand plan so Cain came to Karellen and offered to help him achieve his goals if he would help them achieve theirs. Karellen agreed and he forged an alliance of mutual dependence with one another.
However, while Cain was sincere about coming to Karellen for his help to save his "children", the Ministry was not. As payment for his help, Karellen performed an extensive procedure on Cain in order to extend his life indefinitely. Cain's coffin-like suit, mask, throne, and a good portion of the Imperial Palace in Etrenank was used to just keep him alive.
In 9164, Cain and the others determined that humanity has reached the final level. Solaris was founded and Cain served as the Emperor of Solaris and the de factor ruler of all life on the planet. Cain became worshiped among people.
Cain was once a strong ally of Myyah and the Gazel Ministry, though his actions over the many years caused a split between the Emperor, Myyah and the Ministry. Cain was concerned for the general well-being of all life while the Gazel were only interested in themselves and Myyah was only concerned about Deus.
In 9975, Cain allowed his DNA to be used by Karellen to create Ramsus, an artificial Contact and a clone of Cain.
Xenogears[edit | edit source]
Cain originally sent Citan Uzuki to the surface in order to keep a constant vigil on Fei Fong Wong, the actual Contact after he was brought to Lahan by Wiseman. Cain and Citan communicate via a telepathic link several times over the course of the game and Citan keeps the Emperor abreast of all the recent things happening around Fei and his group.
Cain was assassinated by Kahran Ramsus. Ramsus was manipulated into doing so by Myyah and Karellen at the behest of the ministry.
Cain was against the usage of the Gaetia Key, so Cain's death allowed the Gazel Ministry to use it. This turned the better majority of the world's population into Wels causing Mahanon, the main hull of the Eldridge, from the ocean floor to raise.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Yes, the Gospel. We are the people expelled from paradise and forced to live on the cruel surface of the earth. We who fill this land will once again return to the presence of God in paradise and live there eternally. That is the Time of the Gospel. That Time is at hand. We, the Gazel, must find God's resting place by then and resurrect him. That is our final prayer."
- "My beloved children, you can be at ease. The Gazel Ministry and I planned the destruction of the gate long ago. The people chosen by god... we, the Gazel, will return to god's paradise. To the sleeping mother god... The time for our immortality has come. We have opened the door to 'Mahanon'... the place where god rests, the source of wisdom and power. The surface dwellers will no doubt use this opportunity to seize its power. However, there is no need to be concerned... As long as Solaris has this power... Let's show stupid beasts, the Lambs our real power."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Originally, Cain's armor was going to be silver.
- Cain's face is never shown beyond the orange skull-like mask used to keep him alive. However it is stated in Perfect Works that while he would look similar to Ramsus, it wouldn't be exact since Ramsus' appearance was altered by his fusion with the original Kahran Bekker.
- Cain's name is a reference to the Biblical story of Cain and Abel, and how Cain killed Abel.
- Cain mentions that he still believes in "Anonelbe", a mistranslation of the word "Ahnenerbe" which is German is "Ancient Heritage". The ministry scoffs at him for still believing in such an illusion. It is unknown what the word fully encompasses, but it was used in reference either Fei or Grahf in the following passage, and therefore may be alluding to a fully awakened Contact's capabilities.
References[edit | edit source]
- Perfect Works, pg. 303